Originally built in 1889 by prominent David City Banker, William B Thorpe for his musically gifted daughter, this historic Opera House has been the venue for musical performances, theatrical performances, minstrel shows, hypnotists, dances, sporting events, and local school events. After sitting vacant for a number of years following the 50s, and was then purchased and beautifully restored in 1976. It was added to the National Registry of Historic places in 1988.
Since its re-opening, the Thorpe has brought a variety of events to its stage. It is currently used for local high school theatrical performances, community events, and social gatherings. Plans are under way for a major renovation of the building to improve the structure and accessibility, as well as preserving the history and grandeur of the original Opera House.
Take a closer look at The Thorpe Opera House! Visit their website now!